Saturday, August 27, 2011

movie (and book!) review

As you all may know, I had a wonderful 12 day break from school not to long ago. I did go to St. Louis for the majority of it to hang out with my main squeeze, but we didn't do much other than just relax and hang out (which was absolutely perfect and exactly what I wanted to do).

Moving right along, I have been flying through books lately. In fact, I read 4 books in the last 2 and a half weeks, which is more than I can say of myself for the last year. It's a total disgrace. I love LOVE reading, I just haven't had the time. It's a shame.

So here they are. It's not as much of a review as it is a I loved all of these books go read them list.

First up, East of Eden by John Steinbeck. The story of two families interwoven throughout several generations, Steinbeck wrote this book to describe the Salinas Valley in California for his children. It's amazing. Go read it now.

Second, Look Me in the Eye By John Elder Robison. This is a memoir written by a gentleman who was not diagnosed with Asperger's until he was in his 40s. He knew growing up that he was different, but he didn't realize that his differences were an actual medical diagnosis or that there were other people like him in the world. Each chapter is a unique story about his experiences growing up. Also a great read (especially for the majority of the people who read this blog), although I will admit I got frustrated because he tends to jump around in his life a bit, which made it lack continuity for me. He's a great story teller though, and you will definitely be engaged. I own this if anyone wants to borrow it! Side note: His brother wrote Running with Scissors which is also on me "To Read" list.
Up next: Life After Yes by Aidan Donnelley Rowley is a novel about a Manhattan lawyer who thinks she has everything she wants: a great boyfriend, a loving family, a job that she dislikes but will make her a lot of money, and a great NYC apartment...that is, until said boyfriend proposes. Chick lit at its finest...this book kept me up until 1 am one night because I wanted to know what she decides to do with her life. I'm not saying it's going to win a Pulitzer, but it is a fun, easy read that you could read over a few weeks if you're really busy.

Finally, I just finished Marley & Me by John Grogan this morning. Unless you've been hiding under a rock, you have seen this movie (or are resisting for unknown stupid reasons), and the book is shockingly similar to the movie. In fact, so similar, I don't know which I liked better...which is rare for me. The movie definitely didn't exaggerate Marley's crazy behavior. Also, unless you don't mind people seeing you cry, read this alone. You have been warned.


Finally, my movie review. Basically, I hated this movie. I was bored, and if I hadn't been watching it with a friend, I would have turned it off and not finished it. That's all you're getting out of me, because I don't want to spend any more of my time talking about it ;).

What have YOU been reading and watching lately?


1 comment:

  1. I read Look Me in the Eye, too. Found it entertaining :) And I just watch How Do You Know? the other night while folding fabric. Definitely wasn't the best, but I do love me some Paul Rudd!

    ReplyDelete