Tuesday, January 31, 2012

31 days.

via

Thirty-one days. For thirty-one days I have been meticulously inputting every single thing I put in my mouth (good AND bad) and every single time I've exercised into My Fitness Pal.

Here's what I've learned:

  • I'm not perfect, and that's okay. I didn't expect myself to be. I know some days it's going to sound like a LOT more fun to go eat Margaritas for lunch than to eat my turkey sandwich and carrot sticks. And I'm not beating myself up about that.
  • Portion. Control. Since I'm not all about depriving myself of everything I love, I have been trying to eat things in moderation--and that's working out.
  • The 'skinny version' is usually just as good as the 'not-so-skinny' version. Starbucks skinny vanilla latte, I'm lookin at you.
  • There is such a thing of overdoing it on exercise. One day early on in the month, I could barely get out of bed after I showered after my run. I was proud of myself, but then I remembered the fact I have already had one knee surgery and if I don't want to have another one, I need to take care of myself--and some days that means you need a day off. Working out 7 days a week indefinitely is NOT good for you. A rest day is not just okay--it is NECESSARY. That goes for all of my friends that are working out as well.
  • It's not all about the scale. This past weekend I was in St. Louis and Sam and I ate so. much. food. I'm talking massive amounts of food--our favorite breakfast place, sushi, pickleman's, an oyster and crab festival, AND late pizza. It was enough to feed a small family for a week. Anyway, the point is that I felt disgusting after this weekend. Don't get me wrong, it was all amaaaazing food, but I didn't feel as great about myself a few days after that meal as I did a few days after eating healthy consistently...even though the number on the scale didn't go back up. Moral of that story: have a cheat meal, or two. Don't have seven in a row.

More or less, I think I'm doing a good job. And you know what? I think that's all that matters.


I'll leave you with one more little pearl of wisdom...

via

Interesting thought, isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. More or Less. I think you are doing a GREAT job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Molly! I know a weight watchers tip is to always halve your meal when you go out to eat and save the other half for the next day. I used to be able to do this, but I think my stomach is getting bigger so I put more in it :) And I say that first quote ALL THE TIME. I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete