Sunday, August 26, 2012

pinterest projects {mizzou wreath}

We have a lot of school spirit around this apartment...some more (Sam) than others (me). Even though I am not the type to sign on to PowerMizzou for hours or follow all of the Missouri Tiger Football/Basketball players on Twitter, I do bleed black and gold and am always so proud to say I went there.


Football season kicks off next weekend, and I'm super excited I get to go to the game (even more excited that my BFF Sara will be there with me!), so in the spirit of things, I scratched another Pinterest Project off my long to-do list.


Here's some Pinspiration:

via
via


I had a general idea of what I wanted to do, so I went to Michaels (they just built an AMAZING two story Michaels about 10 minutes from our apartment--it's in an old Borders, Rest In Peace, and it is HUGE) and browsed for all of the materials.


This is where I made one of my few mistakes of the project. I looked at the Michaels ad online on Thursday and saw all of their ribbon was on sale for 40% off, holla! I thought to myself "make sure you go get this before Sunday!" and then I went on my merry way today (aka, SUNDAY) and was shocked when the ribbon wasn't on sale anymore. Ugh. Work is messing my mind up big time! I decided since I was there anyway I would just go ahead and buy it, but it was pricey and I kind of regret being impatient. Story of my life.
Ah, one of my favorite color schemes!
 I also picked up some gold paint, black letters, and a sheet of wooden pine to use to affix the letters to the wreath.

There are a LOT of different wreaths at Michaels. I got this one because I knew I was just going to cover it in ribbon, so it didn't really matter what it looked like underneath. This one was only $3.50, whereas some of the other floral wreaths were $9, $10, or $12.

On my way to check out, I found these little Christmas ornaments in the dollar zone! 


I started trying to wrap the thick black ribbon all the way around the wreath, but only got halfway around before it ran out. Here is mistake #2. When you buy ribbon, check the yardage. Some of the ribbon I bought were 3 yards long, some were 10. I ran out of ALL of the 3 yd ribbon. 


Instead, I spaced it out a bit. It turned out totally fine. 


 I then cut some ribbons into equal length and started tying them at random around the wreath, making sure to cover up the straw parts first.
 I then painted the pine gold and hot glued the letters to it, then hot glued the pine to the wreath.

I then attached the ornaments at random to polish it off! I think it turned out pretty well :). 


In fact, I love it so much, I hung it on the INSIDE of our door, so I can see it all the time (and no one can take it!). 

Are you ready for college football season? Who are you going to be rooting for?

1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!! I'm so jealous about your Michaels and I hate it when I run out of ribbon-so annoying!

    It was great to see you this weekend. Miss u!

    ReplyDelete