Friday, November 11, 2011

no spend november update

It's Friday. Thank goodness.

We're over 1/3 of the way through November (I can't believe it!) so I figured this would be a good time to update you on how my month of not spending unnecessarily is going!

I did cheat, I admit, and bought a milkshake when I was in St. Louis. I was craving it like no other and to save my sanity (and Sam's), I totally caved and bought one. Total cost: $3.21. Other than that, I was SO good...although I might mention that Sam's parents provided us with dinner both nights. I was resourceful though and found stuff in Sam's apartment for breakfast each morning (he sleeps so late that I'm usually on my own for breakfast. Sorry for revealing all of your secrets, Sammy), and Sam was ever the gentleman and bought us our lunch both days. He's not in on the no spend November thing so I maintain that it's okay that he spent money and I didn't :).

I also had dinner ($9) with Chelsea before we went to an activity for school, so that was a slight cheat, but I used some left over money that I had from Houston, so it wasn't in the money I originally budgeted for the month...so I mean yes I did spend money, but it was cash that I had originally taken on vacation a month ago. Therefore, it's not going on my total. If you think that's REALLY cheating, tell me! :)

That's ALL I've spent on food. $3.21 in 11 days. I haven't even bought Starbucks, which is amazing, because the holiday coffee flavors came out on November 1st, which was after I had committed to this thing but has been ABSOLUTE torture for me.

I did spend some money on clothes, but I'm kind of making it an exception. I'm only in nursing school for 1 year, and I haven't bought any school clothing since I've been here. The dept of nursing has specialized jackets and t-shirts, and the order form is due Monday, so I did spend some money on that. Again, money that I had already budgeted, but it was $59 which is kind of a lot.

I also spent $20 on a resume portfolio, because we had an employment fair, and I needed one. I actually already had a nice one, but loaned it to a friend and never got it back, so I had to get it a new one. That was a necessity, however, because no one at my house or Sam owned one so I didn't know who to borrow one from. I'll also use it again as I start going to job interviews (hopefully) in the spring!

Other than gas, that's all I've spent this month. About $80! Not too bad. I am really impressed with myself because, and I'm really laying it all out there, last month I spent $450 on clothes. $450. In one month. Super unacceptable. I didn't even realize it until I added up the total at the end of the month. Ugh. Hence No Spend November!

Here's to frugality! Hope everyone had a splendid week, and I'll update you all again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment