Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mexican Tortilla Roll-Ups

There are a couple of things I pride myself on... I'm an awesome cook & baker (this is no lie, and I blame this fact for the 20 pounds or so I have gained since moving out of the dorms in college), and I'm pretty decent at knitting, or at least I'm pretty good at picking up patterns easily.

Here are a couple of things I've done recently:

 Mexican Tortilla Roll Up Recipe:

I'm not sure where my mom got this recipe, but it has been a staple at every party or holiday gathering we've gone to since I can remember. They are super easy to make, and the recipe makes quite a few, so it is really cost effective. I forgot to take a picture of the finished product, but there are some of the process.

8 ounces of softened cream cheese (I use low fat)
8 ounces sour cream
1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
1 can chopped black olives
1 can diced green chiles
8 ounces of  cheddar (or Mexican style) cheese
chopped Jalapenos to taste (I don't add these because I hate spicy foods)

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.

Distribute across half of the tortilla (I also usually add a bit at the top just to get the tortilla to stick to itself).
Roll the tortilla like a wrap, let chill for about an hour, then cut into bite size pieces. Refrigerate until serving.

This is my other obsession as of late: knitted tea towel toppers. My grandmother requested these, and after I finish with them she sews a tea towel along the bottom (curved part), then adds a button and voila! A tea towel that you can attach to the drawer pulls in your kitchen. The only take me about an hour to an hour and a half to make, which is impressive because I'm kind of slow. 





Yarn sale...my absolute downfall.

1 comment:

  1. Finally the recipe for the roll-ups! I have to start making them for TC potlucks. The tea towel toppers look great! I need to keep practicing my basics.

    ReplyDelete