Wednesday, January 9, 2013

DIY: homemade magnets.

One thing that I managed to never accumulate throughout college and the time after were magnets. I am kind of notorious for getting rid of things, so I'm definitely not the kind of person to keep old pizza place magnets or whatever. Therefore, when I moved out, I had no magnets.

One would think that magnets would be cheap. Maybe they are. However, the cheapest I found were these:
 
at Target. I mean, they were only $2.50, but I thought to myself, "Molly, you can find a better deal than that. And they'd probably be cuter than those magnets anyway."

And voila: I did what I do best. I made them myself.


So here's what I did.


I took a bag of 20 different rocks (found in the floral section at Michaels for $2.50--hence the same price as the 6 cheap not unique magnets found at Target)...

Then I took these magnets, also found at Michaels, which I got for $3.00 for a package of 50 with a 40% coupon (so, if anyone else needs some homemade magnets...I have a lot of leftover magnets...).


Glued these to the back of the rocks..
(Don't steal my fingerprints!)

And voila! 20 unique, totally awesome magnets. 
I love these more than any other cookie cutter magnets than I see at the stores, plus I got to spend my afternoon crafting and watching Parenthood. Bonus.

What have you been making lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment