Saturday, January 12, 2013

DIY: hand painted canvas

I have to admit, I have Pinterest to think for this one as well. I have seen these lurking around for awhile and really liked the way they looked but knew I wanted to do it a bit differently.


Here's my inspiration:
{source}
 I liked it but I wasn't crazy about doing white on top, because I wasn't super crazy about the fact that it's not really clean looking. So anyway, that was my inspiration.


Here's what I did.

1) I chose my saying. Actually, Sam chose the saying. One of my favorite songs (it's on my playlist that is called "A Team" so you know it's serious.) is called "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. In fact, it's one of my ringtones, that is how much I love it. So when Sam suggested I make my saying "Home is wherever I'm with you," I was like uh, duh. However, he also added the suggestion that we take out the word "is" and make it a definition.

2) I bought a canvas and divided it into 4 equal sections.

3. I took some stickers found at Michaels and stuck them down to the canvas to paint over....
 ...like so. I used all different shades of green and just sort of went at it. I didn't do it in any particular order, I just chose to be abstract. I used 5 different shades, and I think that was a perfect range, but you could honestly do whatever you wanted to in terms of color.

4. After everything was dry-ish, I peeled up the stickers and was left with (mostly) clean white lines and a super canvas to hang on our wall!


5) Sam measured things out on the wall and we hung it up. I had been meaning to find something to dress up our guest bathroom a little bit, and this was the perfect addition.



What have you been crafting lately? 

No comments:

Post a Comment