Friday, March 23, 2012

Oh what a week!

When it rains, it pours.

Seriously. It's apparently monsoon season here in Missouri, and it has rained for like the last 5 days. I shouldn't complain because it's at least not snow, but c'mon. Where are my beautiful spring days?

Taken on my run by the lake this week.
On Tuesday I went out to start my car and whaddya know? It didn't start. Luckily my parents were out of town and my brother was in town so I had 3 other cars to choose from. I came home from class and whaddya know? It started right up. Needless to say, I could tell that something was wrong and that something was definitely NOT the battery. I know the difference after having a car that had to be jumped roughly 37 times in one semester at Mizzou.

I had my community health rotation this week, which meant I was following a nurse around in my car Wednesday and Thursday. My car held out until I was on my way to meet a friend at the Plaza yesterday...went into Quik Trip to change out of my professional clothes, come back out...and my car is, for a lack of a better term, dunzo (Laguna Beach anyone?). My brother came to try and jump it, that doesn't work (remember how I said I KNEW it wasn't a battery problem?) and we ended up having to have it towed 30 miles back go Smithville. Yikes. What a hefty tow bill that was...

Anyway, one new starter later, my car is good as new (minus the broken AC...).

It would be easy to say that this broken down car ruined my week, and normally I would let it. However, a lot of excellent things happened this week, so I'm going to let those overshadow the bad :).


First, my mom's tumors are still shrinking! Woo hoo. For those of you that don't know, my mom was diagnosed with melanoma 6 or so years ago (when I was a freshman at mizzou), and after some ups and downs, she was cancer-free by the time I was in my fall semester of my senior year. Unfortunately, cancer fights dirty and it came back with a vengeance during the spring of my senior year. Fortunately, she had some an amazing doctor at KUmed (the only time I will praise KU is in terms of the hospital) who linked her into NIH, where she's been going since August of 2010. Now she's pretty darn close to cancer-free again. If you know anything about metastatic melanoma, you know that's pretty awesome.

Second....

May the odds ever be in your favor!
Happy Hunger Games! I love that my nursing friends nerd out about all of this stuff as much as I do, and we went to the midnight premiere. I really liked the movie, though I know others who did not.


That's about all the excitement I can take for one week. I'm going to chalk all of the rambling in this post to the fact that I only got about 4 hours asleep last night. Well worth it to see The HG at midnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment