Monday, March 18, 2013

a side business?

So I've mentioned my wreaths on the ol blog before, and now I have a serious question for you guys. I made the first one for myself, and then my mom asked me to make one for her classroom, so naturally I said yes, because it's my mom.

I then made another one for one of my friends who asked me to make her one, hence the 2nd Mizzou wreath.

Then I had a ton of ribbon left over, so I decided to make a Christmas wreath, because why not?
So then my mom called me the other day and said one of her coworkers expressed some interest in buying another wreath. So that got me thinking...is this something I should do and try to sell? I made two more, one for my parents to hang on their door at home (at least they can use it for my brothers graduation party or something), and then one for my aunt with the intention of her taking it to HER school and convincing some of her fellow teachers to invest in one.





 So here are my questions:

1) Do you think this seems like something people would buy? Is this a waste of my time (and money?)? I enjoy making them, so I don't really feel like I'm wasting that much time, but it is sort of expensive to buy a bunch of ribbon if you aren't getting anything back.

2) If you do think this would be a good idea, what would be an appropriate price to charge? I have sort of browsed on Etsy for similar things, btu haven't seen anything exactly like what I make.

I never ask people to leave comments on here, but if you could and tell me your opinion, I would really appreciate it!!



3 comments:

  1. Go for it! How exciting!

    You could always wait until you receive the order before you buy ribbon that way you're not buying a bunch and then not using it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely should! How long do they take you to make? Including purchasing the materials? Just figure out how much you'd be happy to profit. Tim ferriss from the 4-hr work week says charge on the High end for your products. You could include the hook it needs to hang to charge more, and use smaller circles with one big letter. I always see single letters on people's front doors, & you could make them for every season, so people would buy multiple wreaths!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I support this idea. Love your creativity and talent!

    ReplyDelete