Sunday, October 16, 2011

Charlie


 Our baby Charlie is not doing too well right now. He's getting sort of up there in the years, and lately he's been having some trouble breathing and eating. My mom is taking him to the vet tomorrow, so cross your fingers it's good news! I was just sitting here thinking about him and realized I never tell stories about him, because honestly he's just not crazy like little Bella.


My parents brought Charlie home when I was 13. They had researched dog breeds for a really long time and found that Cavalier King Charles Spaniel's were really good with kids, particularly kids who were afraid of dogs. Zach had wanted a dog for-ev-er, but I was perfectly content with our cats after a vicious attack from a Chihuahua (one who I incorrectly referred to as a Rottweiler) when I was 7. And I have the scar to prove it. His name was Killer (not a joke) and he came out of the bushes at my great-grandma's house and bit my leg. Killer went to a farm shortly after. I was terrified of any and all dogs from that point forward. Enter Charlie.  I loved him the second I met him, and I love him even more today, which is why I'm so sad that he's so sick. So don't judge me for this blog post. 

Charlie is the best dog. Ever. I love Bella and I think she's so cute and so sweet, but she's frequently a pain in the you-know-what. Charlie NEVER is. He was potty-trained in about 2 seconds, and his favorite thing to do is comfort you when you're sad.

Dog-sitting in Columbia, where he did the one thing he does that is slightly annoying--digging through the trash ;). Usually it's too high for him.
 One of Charlie's favorite sleep spots is what we in our family refer to as "The Boat." "The Boat" is the crook of your knees when you're laying in a position like Nick is on the couch up there. Charlie crawls in there and then puts his head on your knee or thigh and takes a nice long snooze.

  He's super in-tune to when you don't feel well or are sad. When my mom first was diagnosed with cancer, he didn't leave her side for an entire year (when she was doing her first treatment). This is not too long after she got home from the hospital one time. I don't know why she's laying on the floor, but if you know my mom at all, you're probably not surprised.

This picture was taken one of the days when Zach was home from college after being gone for a few weeks. Charlie also misses people and ALWAYS knows when you're leaving him again. 
 He gets annoyed by Bella a lot, but mostly they're best friends. He lets her sleep with him on the couch every day when we're all at work or school.
Charlie is also a very inquisitive fellow. He tilts his head whenever you ask him questions.

   One of my favorite things about Charlie is how photogenic he is, and he's ALWAYS ready for his close-up.
A very regal puppy. Completely fitting for a Cavalier KING Charles Spaniel.

The white on his face has become more prominent throughout the years, but I think it makes him look distinguished.

Snoozing on his other favorite perch: The back of the chair. Also known as: Places Where Bella Can't Bother Me Because She's Too Little.

2 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and Charlie today! Hope all goes well at the vet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brooke! He's in the beginning stages of heart failure, which we kind of already suspected, but it doesn't make it any easier :(. They're keeping him overnight but I'm pretty sure he is coming home tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete