Thursday, January 23, 2014

personal trainer: day one.

Today was my "first official" training session, although I'm fairly certain last week should have counted because boy, was I sore after our initial "get to know you session".  We worked out together for about 20 minutes, and then I couldn't walk up and down stairs for the next three days.

Anyway, today we met for my first "official" session and I was still worn out, but it was manageable. I could do everything she asked me to, although I needed some breaks in between (like instead of doing 15 reps in a row, I would have to do 5 or 10 and then rest and finish out the set).


So, in an effort to try and remember what the workouts were and to give you a general idea of what I am doing, I wanted to blog some basics about the workouts that I'm doing. Although I'm a healthcare professional, you should obviously seek the advice of your physician, not me. And I'm a nurse, not a personal trainer, so don't ask me the real terms for half of these moves, because I don't know. 

Warm Up: 

15 shoulder presses using a TRX rope 
20 jumping jacks
15 arm circles forward, 15 arm circles back
20 jumping jacks


After the warm up, we dove right in.

  • First, we did some "wall ball squats" with some sort of ball (sorry, I am so official..) that weighed 10 pounds. You squat, then using your legs, throw the ball up against the wall as high as you can. Repeat times 15. 
  • 15 shoulder rows using the TRX rope. 
  • 15 backward lunges while holding a 20 pound kettlebell on each side. 
  • 15 "push ups" using the TRX rope. 
  • 30 crunches while holding a 20 pound weight
  • 30 second plank
  • Jog down then sprint up 2 flights of stairs...repeat 4 times.
Then...repeat again.

It might not sound like much to someone who is in shape, but I'm not. And it's hard. I'm wiped out still 5 hours later.


My "homework" is to do 2 days of cardio before I meet with her again next week. Anyone have suggestions for some fun workouts I can do (cardio OR otherwise) in the next few days? I'm wishing I had better balance because yoga sounds delightful right now.

So, even though I'm exhausted, this is the thought that's running through my mind:



1 comment:

  1. I am SO excited for you!... and a little jealous! I've been eyeing the personal trainer at my gym for so long that she probably thinks I have a crush. I know you've already met again, but you can get the biggest bang for your buck with cardio by doing something like sprint intervals.. imagine "sprinting" a 400, and then walking a 100... or any variation of that. I've read that it burns calories faster than staying at a steady pace, and is good to mix in with cardio. I'm excited to see how it's going! Miss and Love ya!

    ReplyDelete