Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Trimming the Friend Fat

One of my wonderful nursing school friends, Brittany, recently (as in like 5 minutes ago, stalker much?) posted this on facebook and I found it very enlightening. This is an opinion piece about trimming the "friend fat" as the writer so eloquently puts it. Side note, the author is from the Houston area, so AL you may wanna look her up and force her to be friends. She seems like our kind of person.

One of my favorite lines from the article is as follows: "At 25, it's time to trim the friend fat, and while you're sloughing off the excess, cherish those who losing would be like losing a limb." I feel as if this particularly calls to me, because I've ALWAYS felt guilty about losing touch with people. The truth is, I think I'm more of a "few friends" kind of person. I don't mean that in a socially isolated, weird way, I just tend to prefer hanging out with fewer people, and usually the same people on a day to day basis. Now, I don't feel so guilty. I know the people I still miss on a daily basis (here's lookin at you, S&J&como crew!) are those that I cherish. I don't have to feel bad about cringing at the thought of attending a 5 year reunion, and I don't have to feel bad about ducking into the baby food aisle at Target to avoid that random club soccer teammate from 10 years ago.


Or maybe I should. Maybe I'm just mean. The point is, I will always cherish those who losing would be like losing a limb.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I did the same thing when I started working at the hospital - I saw all of these people I went to high school with. I put my head down and hoped they wouldn't recognize my new last name.

    ReplyDelete